Hermosa Beach has a great tradition of supporting exceptional education. Our Grandparent’s Club is one example of a base of support which extends beyond our community into the hearts and minds of extended family.
We invite you to reach out to your parents or extended family to help keep our little beach school the best learning environment for our children.
Attached here is a letter that your children can personalize and send to their grandparents to help support their full academic potential.
Payments can be made:
- online at www.hbef.org by credit card
- or via a check made out to “Hermosa Beach Education Foundation” mailed to:
Hermosa Beach Education Foundation Attn: Annual Giving PO Box 864 Hermosa Beach, CA, 90254
Remember to include your grandchild’s name with your donation.
Why support HBEF
- Hermosa Beach is the 5th lowest-funded elementary district in California
- HBEF contributes between 8-10% of the district’s budget to provide special academic programs that are vital to our children’s education.
- Hermosa Beach receives a base level of state funding per pupil enrolled in the district. Other school districts receive additional money for English learners, foster children, and children who qualify for lunch assistance. Hermosa Beach does not meet these criteria to receive supplemental funding.
- Property taxes do contribute a portion of our overall education funding, but they are combined with state and federal funds and distributed to all California districts according to the needs of the student population.
- 100% of Annual Giving donations are tax-deductible and go to the district to cover costs for next school year’s enrichment classes.
Donate to HBEF from your IRA
- If you have a traditional IRA, at age 72, you must start taking IRA required minimum distributions (RMD) every year or face tax penalties. You may donate directly from your IRA up to $100,000.
- Friends and family 70 ½ or older can make qualified charitable distributions (QCD) to satisfy all or part of the amount of their required minimum distribution (RMD)IRS Fact Sheet. With a QCD, a check is sent from the IRA to the charity. The donor is therefore able to exclude the amount from their taxable income.Forbes
We encourage consultation with a tax consultant prior to making any transactions. Questions: email email@example.com
TIP: If you want to support HBEF without dipping into your cash reserves, think about donating appreciated assets such as stocks or privately held business interests directly This strategy can eliminate capital gains taxes you’d incur by selling assets separately before donating the cash, therefore ensuring that your intended charity receives the full value of the asset.
What enrichment classes do my donations support
Last year’s HBEF donations funded this year’s elementary grade programs like SPARKS and IDEA lab, librarians at both Vista and View, music, and smaller class sizes. For the middle school, HBEF funded STEAM (science, tech, engineering, art, and music), and middle school electives such as Art, Band, and Spanish.
These programs would not be in the classroom without your investment in HBEF.